Thursday, April 20, 2006

Ghosts of the past

Regarding the government's refusal to stop charging GST on top of the gas tax:

"Something is seriously wrong when Canadians are hurting from high gas prices and its own government is benefiting from their pain. Will the prime minister agree to at least axe the tax on the tax?"
- Stephen Harper, 2004

Just to be clear, I think the idea of cutting the gas tax is a bad one. But Harper seemed to think it was a really good idea back in the day. I wonder what happened?

3 Comments:

At 4/22/2006 8:37 p.m., Blogger O'Dowd said...

He cut the GST instead. It is a defensible point.

 
At 4/23/2006 10:32 a.m., Blogger lecentre said...

Like the guy above me said, 'axe' might mean cut, rather then eliminate.

 
At 4/23/2006 10:36 a.m., Blogger lecentre said...

"While I do consider myself a "Liberal", I do not march in lock-step with the party, and my opinions are kept as unbiased as possible."
Harper could cut it entirely, but it seems this post's more about partisan politics than an objectively valid criticism...
cheers
your bud at centrerion

 

Post a Comment

<< Home