Wednesday, August 31, 2005

"Don't Let The Door Hit You On The Ass On The Way Out"

Those were the words used on Rick Mercer's Monday Report when former US ambassador Paul Celluci left office a few months ago. Well, seems he couldn't end his tenure without taking some parting shots at our government. Apparently, he considers the Canadian government inept, and says that Canada betrayed the US when it did not sign up for the Iraq war.

Now, let me make something perfectly clear: I supported the war. However, while I am something of a neo-con on foreign policy, I am first and foremost a Canadian. And right now, I'd just like to tell Mr. Celluci that he's welcome to let that door hit him on the ass, because no one here will shed a tear. Betrayed? I wasn't aware that Canada was in any way obligated to support a war that even I readily admit was poorly planned, pathetically sold, and was based on misinformation (when it SHOULD have been based on freeing the people of Iraq, as that's all the justification I think is necessary).

I know, there's a lot of anti-Americanism in Canada. But here's the difference: while our anti-Americans are ridiculed and kicked out of caucus, Celluci was the ambassador to Canada.

And now we have David Wilkins telling us to stop our emotional tirades because the US refuses to honour a trade agreement it entered into knowingly and willingly. (Though kudos to Harper for standing up to him, there.)

I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of being insulted by diplomats from what is supposed to be our greatest friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home