Friday, December 16, 2005

The debate on the chefs (stupid translator...)

The French debate was pretty boring, especially because I don't understand the language, and I've been conditioned by Asian entertainment to HATE bad dubs... which is also why I don't usually watch Question Period when the Bloc is speaking, 'cause they never bloody well talk in English. I would much rather they just broadcast it on a five-minute delay or something and stick subtitles in instead. The voices of translators can be annoying... and they fuck up. One said, "You've made tens of thousands of dollars worth or promises"... another mixed some words up, referring to Paul Martin as "Mr. Mudget", while talking about the budget.

If you're looking for some good and amusing commentary on the debate, look no further:

It's minute-by-minute coverage.

I don't much like the new format, it's too... American. Then again, with four leaders, it's hard to have a free-for-all. The CBC reminded us of why they changed the format by broadcasting a memorable segment from the 2004 English debate in which all four leaders were talking over each other for about two minutes straight about same-sex marriage, with Martin attacking Harper on the Charter, Layton accusing Martin of "hiding behind the Charter", Martin trying to simultaneously attack Harper and defend against Layton, and Duceppe rambling on about... I don't know, probably adscam. At the end, Martin just kind of threw up his hands and shook his head because no one could hear him anyway. So yeah, on second thought, this new format is quite good.

Anyway I hope tomorrow's is more exciting...

Oh, and I was also one of the people filmed asking a question, so watch for me!

2 Comments:

At 12/16/2005 2:00 a.m., Blogger Hishighness said...

What'd you ask about BG? You lucky dog.

 
At 12/16/2005 1:51 p.m., Blogger Ryan Ringer said...

I'm afraid that's for me to know and you to watch for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home